If you are a Webmaster, you should be thoroughly familiar with the WHM program. The WHM, Web Host Manager, is available through your control panel. If you wish to assign a dedicated IP address to your virtual or dedicated server, you will need to utilize this feature. Obviously, having a dedicated IP address can be very beneficial, so the majority of virtual server or dedicated server package customers will want to take full advantage of it!
Before Moving Forward
Before you adjust these parameters, you should know that doing so could result in your website appearing to be down and inaccessible for several hours. Before you make the changes, it is recommended that you inform your visitors in advance. At the same time, it is best to schedule this update, during your site’s slower hours. This will help to limit inconveniences and complaints.
If any of the sites on your account use a 3rd party DNS, making this adjustment will also require you to change the DNS settings of these accounts. You may need to speak with your server’s administrator, in order to get this accomplished.
When you’re ready to proceed, you will want to follow the tips below.
- Access your WHM, as the root user
- Underneath the Account Functions, you will find the option to Change Site’s IP Address
- Select the account that you wish to adjust
- Simply press the Change button
- Select the IP address that you wish to use. If none are available, you can order more, by accessing the Account Upgrades page.
- Finally, hit the Change button
Once you have proceeded through these steps, you will be done. Remember that it may take several hours for these changes to take effect. If the changes have not taken effect within 24 hours, you should contact your hosting provider!