Email spamming is an ever present issue that can cost you or your business time and money. It is surprisingly easy for email addresses and computers to be hijacked for spamming purposes. Here are steps you can take to increase security and ensure you stay off the blacklist.
- Make sure your computer is free of viruses. Many free anti-virus programs are on the market. Find one, make sure it is updated and scan your computer.
- Starting fresh is important if you believe your computer or accounts have been compromised. Reset your passwords – this includes email passwords.
- Use strong passwords as preventative measures. Strong passwords usually contain a combination of the following: Uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and punctuation.
- Don’t store passwords. This includes storing on your browser, FTP client or email client.
- Keep your passwords secret. Passwords are important and should not be shared with anyone.
- Test your computer for keystroke loggers or spyware to ensure passwords stay secret.
- Third party applications and plugins that aren’t updated are vulnerable to penetration
- Protect servers and websites by regularly scanning with maldet (linux) or clamwin (windows).