- Install cPanel on a Virtual Server Running CentOS 6 with 7 Simple Steps
- Clear Your System Cache in Ubuntu with These Quick Steps
- Install MariaDB on CentOS 7 with these Simple Steps
- What is an A Record?
- Smartermail vs. Mailenable – What does it hold for you?
- Common Issues with Website Migration
- Tips to Evade Spamming
- Dirty Cow Vulnerability – Check How Dirty It Is?
- It’s Time to Update Your Server
- How to Change the Listening Port for Remote Desktop?
Category Archives: Dedicated Server Hosting
From time to time, our technical support department is asked how to direct website visitors to view a website over HTTPS. Here is an example:
If a visitor goes to a website using http://mydomain.com, this is not secure so you can force them to always use the shared SSL certificate which is secure and encrypted so no one can see any data being transmitted except the party sending and the party receiving it. Shared SSL’s are included on all our Shared Hosting plans as standard. If you are not familiar with SSL certificates, please view our article on it. If you have a dedicated SSL and want to make all of your website traffic use your dedicated SSL we have a helpful tutorial on that on our knowledge base page.
What Is A Mass Server Migration And What To Expect When It Is Time For One
Every server has a limited lifespan. At the end of their lifespan they cannot function efficiently any longer and have to retire. This is known as a server’s EOL, or End Of Life. This usually happens when the hardware is either considered out of date or it develops too many problems. In these cases, it becomes necessary to migrate customers over to a new physical server. This article will answer some of the frequently asked questions as well as provide a list of things you may need to do when a mass migration is required.
Centralizing logs from multiple servers on one server can be of great interest to the security level within a system of information. Indeed, it is easier for log analysis tools to compare, read and scan files being on a single server rather than doing it remotely or through remote agents. Also in case of server crash, you will be able to recover the mistakes and actions on your server before it does crash, facilitating the restoration activity of this and future security.
On most of the modern Linux systems then log management tool is by default Rsyslog and it is one that we will use in this tutorial. Here, we will work on two machines running Debian 7, one acting as a server, the other as a “client” that will send its logs to the server. In both cases, the configuration file to edit is always /etc/rsyslog.conf. One can nevertheless put in /etc/rsylog.d/ and make a “include” in the main configuration file to import.
Softaculous is a lot like Fantastico in the fact that it is an “automated installer”. With Softaculous you can quickly and easily maintain and install common web scripts. It does not matter if you have installed a script on our servers using Fantastico, because it will automatically be imported to Softaculous. Basically Softaculous is going to act like a drop-in replacement.
However, if you did not use Softaculous to install your scripts you can manually add them. This will give you the opportunity to take advantage of the powerful upgrading component. Below you will find some instructions that will tell you how to manually add your scripts, but keep in mind that this will only work with scripts that Softaculous recognizes. If your scripts are not compatible then these instructions will not work for you.
If you are looking to import your existing web application installation into Softaculous, then you will need to follow the instructions below.
The first thing you will need to do is login to your cPanel account. You will do this by going to http://www.yourdomain.com/cpanel (Yourdomain.com will actually be the name of your own domain.)
Once you are logged into cPanel you will see a Softaculous icon. You now are going to want to click on the icon.
Now you are going to have to search for your web application. You will do this by typing in the name of your application in the search bar located in the top right hand corner. Your application will probably come up before you have typed in the full name. Same thing as if you are typing in the address to a website that you have recently visited.
If you’re a fan of the Windows Virtual Private Server, you should know about the Remote Desktop Protocol, RDP, which allows access to the Windows VPS remotely. Below, you will learn how to connect to the VPS, while using Remote Desktop.
Windows Operating Systems
- First and foremost, you will need to click on the Start Menu. From there, scroll to programs, accessories and finally Remote Desktop Connection.
Alternatively, you can access the Start menu and use the run command to access mstsc.
- Once you’ve accessed the Remote Desktop Connection, you will need to enter your Server’s IP address and hit the Connect button.
- At this point, you will be asked to enter your Username and Password. Do so and hit the enter button.
Using Mac OS
- If you’re using a Mac computer, the process will be slightly different. First, you will need to download the CoRD program, which is available for free.
- Once the program has been installed, you will want to open it and familiarize yourself with its user interface.
- Now, click on the Servers icon and hit the + button. This will allow you to add a new server.
- Now, insert your Server’s IP address and adjust the port number, if necessary.
- Add your username and password, before completing the process.
- Double click the server to login to your VPS.
- Linux users will need to utilize the rdeskop application, which is open source and can be downloaded for free.
- After the application has been installed, you will want to open the command prompt and enter the follow.
- Rdesktop VPS_IP_Address – This should be entered, if the default port is used
- Rdesktop VPS_IP_Address:portnumber – This should be entered, if using a unique port
- Now, you will be asked to enter your username and password. After doing so, you will want to click on the arrow button to login.
Take note that Remote Desktop Connection functionality is only available for dedicated services and VPS, which use the Windows operating system. Shared Hosting cannot support this feature.
At this point in the game, you should understand the importance of encryption for keeping your data safe and sound. One of the best ways to protect the data on your SSD drives is by utilizing SafeGuard Device Encryption. This specific technique is accessible for all operating systems and it’ll be explored in greater depth below.
- Protecting Your Data with SafeGuard Device Encryption
With SafeGuard, it is possible to encrypt entire disks and drives. With the software, you can opt to encrypt your computer on a sector-by-sector basis. Once the process has concluded, there will be no plain text sectors left and your computer will be completely protected.
Do you have a mirrored server of your current server to take the backup when it fails? No, then you need to have a mirror of your web server which can be created with Rsync. This will help to take backup of your failed server without any issues of downtime. Creating a web server backup is a good as well as effective way for small and medium size web businesses.
Let’s learn to setup rsync to create a mirror of your web server –
You will require two servers –
Main Server –
IP Address: xxx.xxx.x.xxx
Host name: webserver.example123.com
It is a fact that most slow transfer speeds are linked to the Internet router. Dedicated Servers are hardly to blame for these poor performance issues, which mean they are out of the reach for hosting companies to eliminate. The performance may be slowed down due to the route of data transfer, which is also why you are currently experiencing packet loss or slowdowns.
If an error occurs and you believe that there may be a problem with the data route, you should immediately perform a “traceroute” to the path that your data travels. With the results, you should open up a support request to provide your host provider with the information. If you have any difficulties with this process, be sure to contact your host provider and request support.
If you are a Webmaster, you should be thoroughly familiar with the WHM program. The WHM, Web Host Manager, is available through your control panel. If you wish to assign a dedicated IP address to your virtual or dedicated server, you will need to utilize this feature. Obviously, having a dedicated IP address can be very beneficial, so the majority of virtual server or dedicated server package customers will want to take full advantage of it!
Before Moving Forward
Before you adjust these parameters, you should know that doing so could result in your website appearing to be down and inaccessible for several hours. Before you make the changes, it is recommended that you inform your visitors in advance. At the same time, it is best to schedule this update, during your site’s slower hours. This will help to limit inconveniences and complaints.